Gracious lake side accommodations
Boasting unsurpassed views of Queens' Royal park, Lake Ontario, the Niagara River and the famous gazebo, The Old Bank House Bed and Breakfast Inn is located in one of the most beautiful and covenient locations in Niagara-on-the-Lake and has the distinction of being featured by Frommer's Travel Guide.
Steeped in history, this two-story Georgian was built in 1817 as the first branch of the Bank of Canada and is site of the first Commercial Historic Country Inn which has been operating for a 100 years. In 1902, it hosted the Prince and Princess of Wales, and today, it's a charming bed-and-breakfast inn. In 2005, the Old Bank House hosted HRH Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine Karadjordjevic of Yugoslavia during a humanitarian mission.
Featuring 9 rooms and suites, each with their own ensuite bathroom, The Old Bank House is just steps from the Shaw Festival Theatre, Queen Street shopping district, fine restaurants, world-renowed Niagara wineries, North America's oldest golf course ,and some of the most scenic landscapes in Canada
including the Niagara Parkway and its bike trail along the Niagara river.
Surrounded by patios and a 50 foot porch our guests enjoy both indoor and outdoor spaces for dining. The Building has been completely remodeled and updated offering private ( ensuite ) bathrooms. All rooms are tastefully decorated inclusive of TV's, and complimentary WI-FI, central air, complimentary parking is available on a first come first serve basis and a set gourmet breakfast is served at 9 am daily. Lunches and dinners may be offered to guests of the Inn seasonally when our chef is available so please inquire about it.
Please note our check in policy which is between 4 and 6 pm. Check out is at 11 am.
For reservations it is best to contact us directly by phone which can be done by calling us toll free at 1.877.468.7136 or via
email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can verify our availability by filling the dates in the calendar located in the top right hand corner of this page, however,
it is imporant to contact us direcly to confirm availabiltiy before proceeding with the reservation. We thank you for your understanding and look forward to hearing from you.
Town & Country Cottage
A charming house located just steps from The Old Bank House and close to theatres, shops, restaurants, golf, lake. Elegant living room with gas fireplace, two bedrooms with ensuite baths, modern kitchen, cozy den. Central air.
Up to four person occupancy. One bedroom with king size bed, other room has a queen bed. Weekend constitutes Friday,Saturday and Sunday nights. Weekly rate during low season is $1250 for up to 4 people, $35 for each extra person. Weekly rate during high season (May - October) is $1450. 3 night minimum May to October. Please inquire about daily rates by calling 1.877.468.7136.
Up to four person occupancy. One bedroom with king size bed, other room has a queen bed. Weekend constitutes Friday,Saturday and Sunday nights. Weekly rate during low season is $1100 for up to 4 people $50 for each extra person. Weekly rate during high season (May - October) is $1250. 3 night minimum May to October. Attractive winter rates available, 2 night minimum booking.
Niagara-on-the-Lake, winner of the Prettiest Town in Canada award, has a long and distinguished history. Site of the old Neutral Indian village or Onigahara, it was settled at the close of the American Revolution by Loyalists coming to Upper Canada. Many of them had been members of the much feared Butler's Rangers, based during the American Revolution at Fort Niagara, then under British control.
In 1781, the British government purchased land from the Mississaguas'; a strip of land 6 miles wide along the western bank of the Niagara River for "300 suits of clothing." By 1782, 16 families had become established and had cleared 236 acres. In 1791 part of the military reserve at the mouth of the river was chosen as the future town site. In 1792, Newark - as it was named by Governor Simcoe, became the first capital of the newly-created colony of Upper Canada, and the legislature met here for five sessions, until Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe moved the capital to York. By 1796, 70 new homes were built, and the town continued to prosper as the economic, administrative and judicial centre for the Niagara Peninsula. The physical appearance of the town, with the exception of the powder magazine at Fort George was virtually erased by the burning of the town by the Americans during the War of 1812.
Rebuilt, Niagara became an active commercial centre, with a busy shipping and ship-building industry, as well as many shops and warehouses. The beautiful old homes lining the tree-shaded streets attest to the prosperity of its citizens.
TODAY, over two hundred years after its founding, Niagara-on-the-Lake hums with a different kind of traffic. Its many attractions include historic sites - Fort George and the Historical Society Museum; the Shaw Festival with its three theatres, the marina, our heritage business district for shopping as well as world class golf courses, parks, beautiful farmland, agricultural markets and our world famous Niagara wineries.